Effects Of Texas Winter Storm on TreesMarch 2, 2021
Springtime in Texas is known most for its unpredictable weather. We get scorching hot days and pop-up supercell storms that pack a lot of lightning, hail and strong winds. Let's not forget tornadoes! A short storm can cause a lot of damage leaving trees snapped in half, laying on your cars and even trees and debris littering your rooftops.
Prepare Your Home for Storm Season
There are a couple of things you can do to prepare your home and yard for Texas tornado season. We have compiled this list but feel free to add others.
- Stabilize young trees with guy ropes and stakes.
- Put away lawn furniture that can easily be picked up by wind.
- Put covers over your pools.
- Trim back tree branches that are hanging over your home or driveway.
- Trim back tree branches that are near or in contact with powerlines.
- Keep ignitable debris like old grass clippings and leaves picked up to prevent a yard fire after lightning strikes.
- Unplug outdoor appliances that don't need to be plugged in at all hours. For appliances requiring constant power, connect them to a surge protector.
- Fill in holes and ditches that will create flood plains
- Place buckets or cages over delicate landscaping to prevent damage from hail.
- If you have a garage or carport, park vehicles under respective coverings.
Even after you have taken all necessary precautions to protect your home and lawn, you can't control everything. In many cases, we see older trees that have been uprooted and launched on top of cars or even branches that have impaled walls and gone through windows. This can be very upsetting and terrifying. Remember to stay calm and avoid areas with downed power lines or where you see obvious sparks.
Be sure the scene is safe before leaving your safe place of cover and assessing the damage. When surveying your damage, don't move anything! Take photos and record as much detail as you possibly can. This is important when it comes to filing your insurance claim. Be sure your photos have time and date stamps on them.
Next you will want to file your insurance claim and begin shopping around for a company that specializes in storm damage removal and repair. Plano Tree Care has years of experience in assisting homeowners and businesses around the DFW metroplex after storms have wreaked havoc on their facilities.
You survived the storm but your home and lawn did not? Give us a call and we will send someone out as soon as possible to assist you in getting your home, business, and/or life back on track. We offer 24/7 emergency services weather permitting.